Introduce yourself!!

Discussion of General topics not covered in the forums below.

Re: Introduce yourself!!

Postby Theodoric » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 am

Greetings all,

I'm Theodoric aus dem Freiwald. I'm an 11th century Saxon. Currently living in the Outlands; Barony of Unser Hafen. I've been active in the SCA since 1983; Middle Kingdom; Shire of Riviere Constella.

I've been a heavy weapons fighter and an armorer as well as dabbling in illumination.

Theo
Theodoric

Postby Aiden » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:00 am

Greetings,

My name is David (mundanely). I've dabbled a bit in the SCA for the past few years under the name Daibhidh, a Scottish Gaelic version of my mundane name. My home is currently Carolingia (Boston area), in the East Kingdom. As of late, I've been thinking of becoming more active in the SCA, and find myself spending the cold winter months learning more about and improving my sewing skills. I'm currently finishing up work on a 14th-century-ish hood. In the past, I've dabbled in target archery, although the local practices tend to run a bit early for my lazy self. :)

Just wanted to say hello. I hope everyone is having a good + safe weekend, esp. those in the East Kingdom, where a snowstorm is picking up steam!
Aiden

Postby unclrashid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:13 am

Hi All!!! Some of you may know me from Pennsic. My full SCA name is Jibral ar-Rashid Al-Gyanji, but in Islamic tradition, my first name is really only used by my parents or in court. I usually go by "Uncle Rashid".

I am a court painter in the city of Tabriz during the early part of the reign of Shah Tahmasp (early 16th century Persia). I was born in Azerbeijan in the city of Gyanji, the birthplace of Nezami, the great poet whose works are often illustrated in our workshop.

I live close to Bhakail in the East Kingdom (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA) and have been in the SCA since AS 13, though I am rarely a dues-paying member. I paint Persian miniature paintings, design faux-arabic calligraphy scripts, research and do Islamic cooking and mid to late period costume. In costuming I specialize in late period Islamic and Central Asian costuming, Mughal costumes, corsetry, gothic fitted gowns, houppelandes and mammary engineering.

Rashid
unclrashid

Postby WarrenSensei » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:09 am

unclrashid wrote: ...design faux-arabic calligraphy scripts,...
... mammary engineering.
Rashid

"Faux-Arabic"? Is that like Pig Latin?

and "mammary engineering" is an excellent term for such things, IMHO... (sometimes I'm especially glad to be male... like when my female SCAdian friends put on their corsets)
~George Benedict
"I must not fear.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion.
I will face my fear;
I will allow it to pass over me and through me,
and when I turn to see fear's path
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby wolfmarty » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Unca' Rashid! (Although if you were my uncle that would make you slightly older than Allah!) Nice to see the locals joining up!
wolfmarty

Postby Demon_Rider » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 am

unclrashid wrote:Hi All!!! Some of you may know me from Pennsic. My full SCA name is Jibral ar-Rashid Al-Gyanji, but in Islamic tradition, my first name is really only used by my parents or in court. I usually go by "Uncle Rashid".

Ahhh Uncle Rashid! I don't believe I've really ever met you, but I have heard stories. You should camp with the clan again soon.
Demon_Rider

Postby Jibrail » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:58 pm

unclrashid wrote:My full SCA name is Jibral ar-Rashid Al-Gyanji

*LOL* I never knew that! And here I thought going with Jibra'il `Attar wouldn't confuse people in the SCA Persian community. Good thing you go by Uncle Rashid...otherwise I'd confuse myself.

And very interesting that your time period is nearly identical to mine. I've been focusing on the reign of Shah Tahmasp...from about 1530-1550.
Jibrail

Postby unclrashid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 am

WarrenSensei wrote:
unclrashid wrote: ...design faux-arabic calligraphy scripts,...
... mammary engineering.

By that I mean a script that when you write in english will look like Arabic.

and "mammary engineering" is an excellent term for such things, IMHO... (sometimes I'm especially glad to be male... like when my female SCAdian friends put on their corsets)
~George Benedict

I know somebody who calls it "boob wrangling", but that makes it sound so... hands on.

Rashid
unclrashid

Postby unclrashid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 am

wolfmarty wrote:Hi Unca' Rashid! (Although if you were my uncle that would make you slightly older than Allah!) Nice to see the locals joining up!

not older than Allah, just older than dinosuars. I'd hate to imagine the family tree wherin I could be my Uncle Bish's uncle. It would either require cousin-marryin' or time travel.
unclrashid

Postby unclrashid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 am

Jibrail wrote:
unclrashid wrote:My full SCA name is Jibral ar-Rashid Al-Gyanji

And very interesting that your time period is nearly identical to mine. I've been focusing on the reign of Shah Tahmasp...from about 1530-1550.

Isn't that the most artistic period of Persian history? Hard to imagine anyone being interested in the other parts.
unclrashid

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion