Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/bluefeather/bluefeather.org/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/bluefeather/bluefeather.org/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/bluefeather/bluefeather.org/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3834: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3837: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3838: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Clan Blue Feather • View topic - Introducing from far away

Introducing from far away

Discussion of General topics not covered in the forums below.

Introducing from far away

Postby IgnatiusBaeticus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:14 am

Salve. I hope i'm writing in the right place. I've seen there's already a post about personal introductions, but, as i happen to be unknown for all of you, i've thought better to start a new one to say hi.

So hi. I'm been at no Clan Blue Feather meeting already. In fact, i hardly knew of you and of Sca last summer. Now i've found you have opened this forum, which are great news. Congratulations! As i knew from Sca this summer, i started mailing with the Spanish March of Drachenwald, called Alcaçar de Brioga, for this is where i live. But at present i'm not already a Sca member, though hope to be so soon. I also learned of the Clan Blue Feather, and wondered if there were Drachenwalder Blue Feather members, for i'm interested in the Clan; but i found none. Maybe you know anyone?

I'll introduce myself, so i hope it also helps me to know better my own persona, which is still a bit in the darkness. It may also be of interest to some of you, for there're facts of my life and time related to some aspects of Rome that still survived, others being fully mediaeval. For this is an unsettled time when i live, early the 5th century.

My name is Ignatius, formerly the Roman name Egnatius, a word of unknown meaning, whose spelling was later changed from the word ignis, which means fire. I live in the Roman province of Baetica in southern Spain. I'm a Roman citizen. I was born late on the 4th century. I don't know who was my father, though my mother tought me always to say that he was the bishop saint Gregory from Granada, where i live. According to saint Jerome, the bishop might've been very elderly when i was born, but he was very strong and healthy till his last years, and also liked the pleasures of life. He was an ascetic; but used to say that he praised God by all possible ways; and he really managed to find many ways to do so. My mother never told me who my real father was, probably because he could be involved in some conspiracy against the Catholic emperors. Anyway, she was the bishop's maid. I grew up in his house, in Granada's church, and he tought my first letters. He was not a Catholic, but an heretic, as most ascetics of our time. As i'm myself.

I lived many years in cohabitation, and later married, though it was out of the church. In my time, many weddings are arranged at becoming of age, which means at 14, being the parents who arrange the nuptials. So there're many interest weddings, though there're being reduced now that Roman citizenship is so burdensome. But it was not so in my case. There's also a great celibacy practice, for having a family is almost as onerous as being a citizen, and the law demands that the legitimate sons inherited the jobs and duties of their fathers. So married people reduce their descendants, and many practice cohabitation and refuse to acknowledge their sons. In the meanwhile, the fields and workshops are being left, and the roads -formerly plenty of pack mules- now are plenty of grass among the stones.

I think this is all for now. You can ask, if wanting to know some more.

Good night, and good luck.
Last edited by IgnatiusBaeticus on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Declaration of Independence, 1776.
IgnatiusBaeticus

Re: Introducing from far away

Postby Gryphalcon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 am

Welcome Ingatius. I guess it's ok for you to start a new intro thread, since no one seems keen on replying after the intro on the other thread...

Anyway. It can be hard to find other Bluefeather membours in your own area; we're like a minority of a minority. I've only ever met two other members.
Could I ask you not to write in red? It is difficult to read.

See ya round.
Bryce/Gryph.
Gryphalcon

Postby IgnatiusBaeticus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks. I'm editing the red. I at least hope to talk through the forum.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Declaration of Independence, 1776.
IgnatiusBaeticus

Postby IgnatiusBaeticus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Salve.
About the suggestion that Gryphalcon made to insert a map of the Known World, and as i might be the most outlying in this forum, i'm bringing here a map of where i live, the Roman and Visigothic province of Baetica. Though this is not what Gryphalcon suggested, i thought it would please you, and it might fit here. I found it at the Lacus Curtius website, where you can see a larger copy of it:

Indeed this map needs an update, but, isn't it nice?
You must put it in the Westend of the Mediterranean Sea. The town where i live is called here Illiberis (Ch), by the Singulis Fluvius (river Genil). It was here that Christopher Columbus came to an agreement with the Queen of Castille, to travel westwards through the Atlantic Sea, and claim her sovereignity upon the lands he'd found. Though i wasn't born here, but by the Urium Fluvius (river Red, Bh), where Columbus finally chartered his ships.
Hope you'll enjoy it.
Sweet dreams.
Ignatius, or maybe Aelius.
IgnatiusBaeticus

Postby Gabe / Genjiro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Indeed, there is something about a handlettered map that evokes a certain wanderlust that its digital counterpart cannot quite reproduce.
--Genjiro Tenmakutsukuri
MKA Gabriel de la Vega
Archer of Rivenwood
Tentmaker
http://www.tradersoftamerlane.com
Gabe / Genjiro

Postby IgnatiusBaeticus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:09 am

Gabbo / Genjiro wrote:Indeed, there is something about a handlettered map that evokes a certain wanderlust that its digital counterpart cannot quite reproduce.

Salve. I think the above map was printed, but the original website doesn't tell the source. Anyway, yes, handdrawn maps are really... are really maps. I'm attaching one that is held at the library where i work:

The Spanish coasts, after a map drawn by the regional school of Majorca in the 17th century:

If you want to see a larger copy, link here:

Iberic Peninsula
IgnatiusBaeticus

Return to General Discussion