Same Sex Baronage in the SCA

Topics of general SCA interest.

Same Sex Baronage in the SCA

Postby Nikulai » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 am

Greetings!

I am curious if there are any examples of same sex baronage in the SCA?

Thanks!
- N
Nikulai

Re: Same Sex Baronage in the SCA

Postby Salvador » Sat May 29, 2010 9:37 pm

I remember for ahwile there were a pair of Vicaress' but I can not recall where... not sure they were an actual couple.. but at least in representation .. :)
Salvador

Postby Nikulai » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Salvador wrote:I remember for ahwile there were a pair of Vicaress' but I can not recall where... not sure they were an actual couple.. but at least in representation .. :)

Awesome! Thanks for that info.
Nikulai

Postby Kaylee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 am

The new survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCA2010Census

states that such is presently not allowed, and asks (IIRC) if you would be OK with same sex baronage and crown.

Perhaps we will get enough yes votes.
Kaylee

Postby DugahllEoghann » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Well, For all that I am a strong supporter of equal rights, for the part of history we are attempting to recreate, in rulers it is not appropriate. I don't recall any historical precedents of a same-sex rulers that had their mate on the throne (we've had a gay president, but his mate was not the first spouse - he was called Aunt Fanny, and he was outside period)

So, perforce, I voted no on the proposition.

I disliked having to do that, but we are factually historical, or nothing more than LARPers. I prefer the factual history - as ugly and prejudical as it may be. This does not mean that we cannot be active and visible, but until we have documented historical precedent, I cannot (as an officer of my group) support it.

Dugahll-Eoghann
DugahllEoghann

Postby Angelo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:00 am

If you really want to be factually historical then there are a number of other things that should be done away with as well. How about most modern medical care? flush toilets? port-a-johns? modern heating and air conditioning? corrective eye wear? the modern buildings that most events are held at? While we're at it lets have armed combat done with real swords? I'm sorry if this sounds a bit snarky, but I've heard this argument used before and it just doesn't hold water for me...
Angelo

Postby DugahllEoghann » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:32 am

@ Angelo -

I agree that we do make some compromises for modern conveniences - I'm legally blind but corrective lenses are truly wonderful (and period examples do exist...).

I think what makes me come down on the side of disagreeing with same-sex Hats is that Landed officers are not required to be married/committed/involved to each other. Should a Blue Hat wear a favor boldly displaying their affiliation? Yes!

OH! Challenge to the Bards! We need a song called "The Baron is Blue"! "...he sits by his Lady by day/and sleeps by his Lord at night..." Any takers?

And no, you were not being snarky - I hold those same arguments with myself all the time -where do we draw the line between strict historical and reasonable compromise? As the A&S officer for my group, it is an ongoing debate (all 4 of me hold a different opinion on the matter...)
DugahllEoghann

Postby BaronGiles » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Salvador -- or anyone-- I'm very much interested in tracking down this rumor; none of the people I've been contact with (which is a good chunk of the World) have ever heard of ss Vicaresses or B&B. If you can provide any more info --when you heard it, where you heard it, who you heard it from-- it would be greatly appreciated!

Giles
Gyldenholt, Caid
BaronGiles

Return to SCA