Same-sex rulers in history?

Topics of general SCA interest.

Re: Same-sex rulers in history?

Postby alexandros » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 pm

As long as you're going to look at Same Sex rulers in history and compare that to the way King's are chosen in the SCA, perhaps we could look at our system for choosing Kings.

Which Medieval Kingdom was it that chose their monarchs in a double elimination tournament?
alexandros

Postby CLHarmon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:52 pm

I actually feel so passionately about this that I decided to post here before introducing myself. Haha. Sorry, ahead of time, for reviving a sleeping topic.

One option no one here seems to have brought up is that there might be those who'd like to adopt a persona of the opposite gender, and serve as the King/Queen in that capacity. The Corpora laws currently make that all but impossible, but to me the SCA (even if I've only recently joined) is about learning and enjoying the period and location of your choosing, as close to and as conveniently possible as was the case then. For my case, I'd much prefer to explore the roles of women in my preferred period (the 16th century), in particular to emulate the powerful women who were themselves in and out of power all throughout it.

Thoughts?
CLHarmon

Postby DugahllEoghann » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 am

This is a excepted repost from another list on the site...I wanted to get input from as many as possible...

I agree that we do make some compromises for modern conveniences - I'm legally blind but corrective lenses are truly wonderful (and period examples do exist...).

I think what makes me come down on the side of disagreeing with same-sex Hats is that Landed officers are not required to be married/committed/involved to each other. Should a Blue Hat wear a favor boldly displaying their affiliation? Yes!

OH! Challenge to the Bards! We need a song called "The Baron is Blue"! "...he sits by his Lady by day/and sleeps by his Lord at night..." Any takers?

Thanks for listening!

Dughall-Eoghann
Shire of Spiaggia Levantina, Atlantia
DugahllEoghann

Previous

Return to SCA