Blue Feather themed items

Discuss Blue Feather merchants and merchandise, or post stuff of your own to sell or trade.

Blue Feather themed items

Postby Joshua » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:29 pm

I thought this would be a good place to list merchants who purposely or accidentally produce Blue Feather themed items.

Off the top of my head I know Calontir Trim (www.calontirtrim.com) made a bunch of trim a few years ago, Reese at Pennsic makes leather and rainbow pride pieces, and Falcon's Mew (www.falconsmew.com) has been known to make Blue Feather Cthulus from time to time. :)

Of course we also have our Blue Feather merchants that sell other wards, such as T'Ger's infamous toggs and tights (www.tgertoggs.com), Gabbo and his yurts (www.tradersoftamerlane.com), and Duke Kyrin's "Medieval 5&10", the Unicorn's Garden.

So anyone know of any other goodies we can go shopping for? :)
Joshua

Re: Blue Feather themed items

Postby WarrenSensei » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:52 am

I love those yurts! I totally can't afford one, but I love them!
As a former engineering major, I *really* loved reading about their construction. It's really amazing what ancient peoples with no education developed just because it mattered.

While reading all this, thought of a way to make single person setup much easier than described on any site, with little change from the basic design. Never having seen a yurt being set up live, I'm not certain that the khana could take the momentarily unbalanced forces without tipping, though I'd be surprised if that were the case.

The idea is rather simple. If one rafter could hinge slightly and the tono were built with 3 fixed points instead of just one, then you could place 2 rafters into the tono and then placed on the cable and the third, hinged rafter could then be used by one person to raise the tono and 2 rafters like an A-frame up into position, stable, in one heave.

This would require that one rafter (probably the best one of the lot, with the fewest defects and tightest grain) be modified like this:
http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr302/warrensensei/?action=view&current=MasterRafterhingedetail.jpg

If I understand your drawings, Gabbo, than this should look somewhat familiar. I've removed the point of the rafter where it fits into the tono, along the arc of the "inscribed circle" of a triangle made from a 90 degree extension of the notch that locks the rafter in.
The hole and slot I've added would then match up with a post inserted into the 1x3 pieces in the tono to make a hinge pivot. A slot cut into the bottom ring of the tono would then allow this "master rafter" to have a decent angle to hinge through, while still locking in place like a regular rafter against the top ring and the post (instead of the top and bottom rings).

I did this quick and dirty, so if this isn't making sense, I can model the tono as well, and show how they would fit and work together.

~George Benedict (MKA Warren)
"I must not fear.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion.
I will face my fear;
I will allow it to pass over me and through me,
and when I turn to see fear's path
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Joshua » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:49 am

You two should start a "DIY" thread in the A&S forum. :)

- Joshua
Joshua

Postby WarrenSensei » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:32 am

Good idea.

Done.
"I must not fear.
I will face my fear;
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Demon_Rider » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 am

Could this be a new member of the Blue Feather corps of engineers?

"Papa Caleb, we found you a friend!!!"
Demon_Rider

Postby WarrenSensei » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 pm

LOL, sure why not? One problem: I live in a tiny apartment with no place to actually make anything :cry:

... dare I ask who Papa Caleb is?
"I must not fear.
I will face my fear;
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Demon_Rider » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 am

WarrenSensei wrote:
... dare I ask who Papa Caleb is?

Who is Papa Caleb?!?!?! I dare say he's one of the cornerstones that allow the Clan Blue Feather encampment actually function to any degree each year. Now WHAT P.C. is would be a bit more appropriate question. From what we know, he has some resemblance to a man sized teddy bear, but he has the bazaar ability to weave tents out of his ass like a spider, while simultaneously fixing any sort of plumbing issues we may have. The Vladians also call him moneybags.

Is he a man, a monster, or something in between? We may never know...
Demon_Rider

Postby WarrenSensei » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 am

Lol!
As you now can tell, I have yet to knowingly meet any of the clan in person. Partially this is because I can't get to enough events (I've made plans to go to Pennsic 2 years running now that fell through, for instance).
"I must not fear.
I will face my fear;
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Demon_Rider » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Believe me, the event is absolutely worth going to. If you can put aside a small quantity of cash each week to save for it, then do it. I was offered the chance to go several years before I actually did, and you know what my one regret is now? That this is going to be my 5th Pennsic instead of my 7th or 8th. Lol. I'm not even a member of the SCA, but I know absolutely that I'm a lifer.

A friend of mine once put it like this "If I had to choose between going to my mothers funeral, or going to Pennsic...well it would be a REALLY hard decision." Yeah, I have that sort of fanaticism.
Demon_Rider

Postby Domenico Dei Medici » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Greetings
My name is James Raia (Domenico Dei Medici SCA Name) I am a Jewelry Designer and PR Manager for Renaissance Reproductions tho the owner of our company is not GLBT I however am I have been on a somewhat extended sabbatical from the SCA but have now rejoined since I am a bit older and have more time our first event that we will be attending is Birka and have recently signed up here as a member of Blue Feather I was wondering who I needed to contact to get our company listed on the Blue Feather Merchants List

Thank You
James
Domenico Dei Medici

Return to Marketplace