Sorry about the spam!

Suggestions, bug reports, or comments about the forum or website.

Sorry about the spam!

Postby Joshua » Sun May 31, 2009 1:51 am

Just did a massive membership clean-up, and despite higher intelligence tests, I culled the membership list from 200 to 76! We'll see if we can't find more ways to thwart the spambots, but in the meantime, sorry if any slip through (what caught my attention was a spate of posts from one recently-added spambot), and feel free to e-mail me or Gabbo if you see anything suspicious.

Joshua
Joshua

Re: Sorry about the spam!

Postby Thorvald » Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 am

I just noticed that a few of the newest members are most likely spammers. (as of this posting the four back to Master Mellitus)
Is there any way to either require permission to join or require a moderated first post?
You could require everyone to a least say hello on the introduction thread else they be subject to deletion (they can lurk after they say hi once).
In Service,
Thorvald
Thorvald

Postby Joshua » Sun May 31, 2009 3:29 pm

I know Gabbo is working on it, so we'll come up with something. Damn spammers!
Joshua

Postby Joshua » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 am

Argh! This is getting ridiculous. For the time being I've set new registrations to require admin approval. Hopefully we can find another way around this, but it'll have to do for now.

- Joshua
Joshua

Postby Joshua » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am

OK, another quick update - Gabbo has initiated some more intelligence tests when creating profile that should thwart any spambot scripts, so admin approval of new members is no longer needed.

Still, keep your eyes peeled, and if anyone suspects spam, please contact me or Gabbo and we'll look into it. Thanks!

- Joshua
Joshua

Return to Website suggestions