Suggestion: World Map

Suggestions, bug reports, or comments about the forum or website.

Suggestion: World Map

Postby Gryphalcon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:12 pm

I had a thought, (I did, I did!) that it would be good to have a reference map or two.
First, for the Known World. I was going to say that it would be easy to find a link to one, but had some trouble finding anything. From Google, I had a lot of out-of-date results. Two possibilities:
SCA Google Earth http://anachronista.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... earth.html
And this: http://misfit-robots.com/sca/map/index.html

(There was a depressing number of 404 messages.)

Anyway, secondly, it would be nice to see where the Bluefeather is distributed. There is no active presence in Australia, but that might be because we are unaware of each other. I emagine that there would be similar situations elsewhere. For now though, it would seem that the SCA is in need of an updated Atlas. (Oh, the irony!)
Gryphalcon

Re: Suggestion: World Map

Postby Demon_Rider » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I myself have seen maps like the one I believe your talking about, and I've always thought they were interesting. There's a lot of free sites out there where you can do this.

It may be a good idea to wait a bit though. There are a lot more that I'm sure will come to this site. Hell we don't even have half the people who camp at Clan Blue Feather at Pennsic on the site yet.

Joshua could answer better than I could, but I think we had somewhere between like 40 and 60 people in camp this past year.
Demon_Rider

Postby Gryphalcon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:14 am

Understandable, given the site has only been up, what, three months?
And there seems to be a chronic case of out-of-date web information in the SCA.
You have been taught
that there is something wrong with you
and that you are imperfect,
but there isn't
and you're not.
Gryphalcon

Postby WarrenSensei » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:34 pm

This might be helpful, though it's a bit beyond me (ok, I could learn it, but it would be from scratch and take forever).

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/
"I must not fear.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion.
I will face my fear;
I will allow it to pass over me and through me,
and when I turn to see fear's path
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby WarrenSensei » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Barring that, Google Maps has convieniently just opened up a new "My Maps" function that allows collaboration.
If you (one of the admins would probably be wise) made a map, titled it something like "Clan blue Feather", and then posted the link on here, we could all view it. Editing can be restricted by account/invite or open to all, so you could send invites to each member to edit the map so people can add not only their own location, but also those of important sites and events. Alternatively, locations could be posted in a forum here and the admin(s) with access to editing the map could add approved spots.

Being a Google Map, the map can be displayed embedded in this site somewhere as well (by and admim, since it's a html code to do that).
"I must not fear.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion.
I will face my fear;
I will allow it to pass over me and through me,
and when I turn to see fear's path
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Gabe / Genjiro » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Given that the focus of this website and forum is to do with Blue Feather, I think an SCA wide map is best left to sca.org or other more central online areas whose scope is the broader SCA at large and (more importantly) that is administered by an officer of the organization whose job it is to do these things. Honestly part of the reason why there are so many out of date maps out there, is because smaller entities copy maps onto their own pages, and then never update them. I am content to link to the main sca.org page, or even better http://www.sca.org/geography/

Having a world map with a little pin for each of our members might be a neat little novelty though. My fear with these kinds of things is that, Like with all things blue feather, the map of course does not represent an exhaustive listing of all our membership and their locations, and given how huge the WORLD is, it may look a bit sparse even if ALL our members decided to share their location. (which is highly unlikely)

Gryphalcon wrote:There is no active presence in Australia, but that might be because we are unaware of each other.

Well, the forums themselves are certainly here to try and fix that. Using the map as a initial point of contact would also require that each contributor would share some sort of contact information along with their "pin"

I'll go ahead and set up a clan Google account anyway, as many of its best tools have a social shareable aspect to them. Once its up and running I'll see about getting something like this set up.
--Genjiro Tenmakutsukuri
MKA Gabriel de la Vega
Archer of Rivenwood
Tentmaker
http://www.tradersoftamerlane.com
Gabe / Genjiro

Postby Gryphalcon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:05 am

Well, thank you and muchly!
I was going to say, since we have so few regestered members on the forum, maybe the idea should be put on the back-burner for a while. Membership is likely to pick up at the start of the year, when word starts getting around.

Thank you for the responses. *bows* (I really don't like those emoticons...)
Gryphalcon

Postby Demon_Rider » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Oh yeah it will pick up. There's still a lot of...colorful personalities that need to make there presence known.
*looks at Widder and Sev*
Demon_Rider

Postby Gabe / Genjiro » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:29 pm

Just to let you know, I did make a central clan Google account and I think as things pick up next spring and summer (I think a lot of people tend to associate SCA stuff with warm weather) I'll see about implementing some of their apps for Clan use.
--Genjiro Tenmakutsukuri
MKA Gabriel de la Vega
Archer of Rivenwood
Tentmaker
http://www.tradersoftamerlane.com
Gabe / Genjiro

Postby Demon_Rider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Is there a link somewhere that I'm missing Gabbo?
Demon_Rider

Next

Return to Website suggestions