Birka '09

Announcements and updates for any events not listed below.

Birka '09

Postby WarrenSensei » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am

Who's going to be at Birka at the end of the month?

I'm going to be there, though I don't know how much money I will have to spend. I will be volunteering for my site fee, but paying to spend the night with my household. But they're making me new garb, so that's a win! Now I just need to find some hose...

~George Benedict
"I must not fear.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion.
I will face my fear;
I will allow it to pass over me and through me,
and when I turn to see fear's path
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Re: Birka '09

Postby Aiden » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 am

I'm thinking of going. I'd love to snag a few pieces of nice garb and possibly some raw materials for some miscellaneous projects, depending on what's available. I've never been to Birka myself, but have heard that the shopping can be good.

I see that the site opens on Friday evening. Is there much advantage to coming then, as opposed to Saturday?
Aiden

Postby Demon_Rider » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 am

What's a Birka exactly? I've never heard the term before.
Demon_Rider

Postby WarrenSensei » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 am

http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1684
http://www.birka.org/

Birka is a marketplace event, with lots of vendors all in one place, all at once!
People selling everything from garb to weapons to utensils to... mini crossbows that fire mini-marshmallows well over 100 meters. I bought my sister's wedding gift there last year (a matched pair of high quality wasters based on the elven katanas in the LotR movies, made from the same piece of wood and capable of being used full force by SCAdians without damage).
It was my first event, nearly 4 years ago. There are several tournament divisions, and is a Baronial Court event, and this year (and usually), it's a Crown event too, so court will be interesting!

If you're not able to stay the night, come early on Saturday. If you come late, everything will be gone!
~GB
"I must not fear.
I will face my fear;
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Aiden » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 am

WarrenSensei wrote:mini crossbows that fire mini-marshmallows well over 100 meters.

:o
<Ponders the pros and cons of marshmallow war.>
Aiden

Postby WarrenSensei » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am

Cons? there are cons to a marshmallow war?
"I must not fear.
I will face my fear;
there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert
WarrenSensei

Postby Aiden » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 am

WarrenSensei wrote:Cons? there are cons to a marshmallow war?

Streets covered in marshmallow sugar carnage. Innocent passersby inadvertently getting struck and possibly a bit annoyed. Hot beverages everywhere piled with tasty, tasty ammunition (or the opposite, I suppose.)

Then again, maybe you're right. :P
Aiden

Postby Demon_Rider » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm

WarrenSensei wrote:http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1684
http://www.birka.org/

Birka is a marketplace event, with lots of vendors all in one place, all at once!
People selling everything from garb to weapons to utensils to... mini crossbows that fire mini-marshmallows well over 100 meters. I bought my sister's wedding gift there last year (a matched pair of high quality wasters based on the elven katanas in the LotR movies, made from the same piece of wood and capable of being used full force by SCAdians without damage).
It was my first event, nearly 4 years ago. There are several tournament divisions, and is a Baronial Court event, and this year (and usually), it's a Crown event too, so court will be interesting!

If you're not able to stay the night, come early on Saturday. If you come late, everything will be gone!
~GB

Hmmm. Sounds like the basic marketplace at Pennsic. That place is huge. People get surprised when they say they could bring "a huge amount of money...like 2k bucks", and I mention that they could spend that on one really expensive one also. I don't think the thought crosses their mind that you can buy more than trinkets and souveniers (spl) at SCA events in general, but most especially Pennsic.
Demon_Rider

Return to Event Announcements